- An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the
performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or
injury. Injunctions can be preliminary (beginning during the time
the suit is pending) or permanent (part of the resolution of the
- Judge's explanation to the jury before it begins deliberations
of the questions it must answer and the law governing the case.
- International Agreement
- (As defined by the Copyright Statute) An
"international agreement" is -
(1) the Universal Copyright Convention;
(2) the Geneva Phonograms Convention;
(3) the Berne Convention;
(4) the WTO Agreement;
(5) the WIPO Copyright Treaty;
(6) the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty; and
(7) any other copyright treaty to which the United States is
17 U.S.C. § 101.
- Written questions asked by one party of an opposing party, who
must answer them in writing under oath; a discovery device in a
- (1) The disputed point in a disagreement between parties in a
- (2) To send out officially, as in to issue an order.
- Joint Work
- (As defined by the Copyright Statute) A
"joint work" is a work prepared by two or more authors with the
intention that their contributions be merged into inseparable or
interdependent parts of a unitary whole. 17 U.S.C. §
- Government official with authority to decide lawsuits brought
before courts. Other judicial officers in the U.S. courts system
are Supreme Court justices.
- The official decision of a court finally determining the
respective rights and claims of the parties to a suit.
- (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case.
Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous
responsibility for the same case.
- (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to
- Persons selected according to law and sworn to inquire into
and declare a verdict on matters of fact.
- The study of law and the structure of the legal system.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
All Rights Reserved
Some definitions are from the Federal Judiciary
Center . No claim to